Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
Family searches for answers after granddad's mystery asbestos death
The family of a great-grandfather who died from an asbestos-related cancer are calling for his co-workers to help them get justice for him.
Peter Bullen died aged 72 earlier this year from mesothelioma - a painful cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.
He is believed to have been exposed to the carcinogenic material during years working for a North Cheam gas fitting company and a firm of lawyers is trying to find out more in order to get answers for his family.
His widow, Valerie, said they could not figure out when he had been exposed to asbestos after they heard about Mr Bullen's diagnosis and it was only during a chance conversation with one of his old colleagues they realised he could have come into contact with it while working as a gas conversion fitter for now-defunct North Cheam-based Cameron Mechanical Services in the 70s.
Now his family and his lawyers, Boyes Turner, are trying to get more information on how he was exposed to the asbestos.
Mrs Bullen, 70, said: "I was talking about it on the phone to one of his ex-colleagues' wives and in the background I heard her husband say 'remind him that we had to asbestos for the plinths'.
"It was a long time ago but apparently while they used to cut plinths out of asbestos while they were doing gas conversions. Peter had forgotten until then. We think that might be how he came into contact with it."
Now Mrs Bullen and the family's solicitors want anyone who used to work with Mr Bullen to come forward and shed more light on how Mr Bullen was exposed.
Mr Bullen's first love was horses and he worked in stables until he took work with Cameron Mechanical Services from 1970 to 1977. He had two children, six grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
If you worked at Cameron Mechanical Services Limited between 1970 and 1977 and you remember Mr Bullen or recall anything about asbestos being present, you can call Michael Osborne on 020 8332 8636 or Nicky Howe on 020 8332 8674.
Comments are closed on this article.