Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
Blaze at Pavilion wedding venue in Walthamstow caused by halogen lights
The fire which ripped through a banqueting suite specialising in Asian weddings last week was caused by halogen lights being left too close to combustible material.
A total of 72 firefighters fought the blaze at The Pavilion in Hoe Street, Walthamstow, in the early hours of August 20.
Half of the first floor and most of the roof was alight when firefighters arrived at the scene at 1.15am.
Police closed Hoe Street for several hours and evacuated around 20 people from surrounding houses.
Station manager Clive Robinson said: “The fire has severely damaged the two-storey banqueting hall.”
It is believed The Pavilion owners spent a lot of money refurbishing the premises two months ago in preparation for Ramadan and Eid.
Wedding celebrations scheduled to take place at the Pavilion are currently being moved to other venues in the borough.