Washing machine fault sparks Gravesend house fire
A WASHING machine fault sparked a house fire in Gravesend this morning.
Firefighters were called to a two-storey terraced house in Clarence Place shortly after 8am.
The homeowners were alerted to the blaze by a smoke alarm and were able to escape to a neighbour’s house uninjured.
A third of the kitchen was damaged by the flames and the whole house was heavily smoke logged.
Firefighters from Thames-side station wore breathing apparatus as they went inside the property and extinguished the fire with a hose reel.
Crew manager Ray Kilbourne, said: “Hearing the smoke alarm sounding helped this couple get out of their home safely and call the fire service.
“Fires can break out in electrical appliances and power outlets with very little warning.
“For this reason I would strongly recommend residents fit working smoke alarms on each floor of their homes and test them regularly, they really can save your life.”
A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear the smoke from the house before the washing machine was removed.