A takeaway owner has been forced to pay £2,000 after a shard of glass from a shattered lightbulb was discovered in a chicken meal.
A customer alerted public health officers when they found the glass in a £6 rice, couscous, chicken and potatoes dish ordered from Divan Restaurant in Hertford Road, Enfield Highway, in November 2011.
In an interview, the restaurant’s 35-year-old owner, Abdurahim Teymuroglu, admitted a lightbulb smashed when he was changing it and pieces had fallen into open lamb and chicken dishes resting under the hot display cabinet.
Although he had thrown the lamb away, he continued to serve the chicken.
Prosecuted by Enfield Borough Council, he pleaded guilty at Enfield Magistrates Court on January 25 where he was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £450 costs.
The council’s cabinet member for environment Councillor Chris Bond said: "Luckily no-one was injured as a result of the presence of broken glass in this food but this incident could have had tragic consequences.
"Enfield Council takes the safety of consumers extremely seriously in this borough and we work very hard to ensure residents are protected from poor hygiene and dangerous food practices.”
He said the fine sends out a “strong message” that food premises need to pay very careful attention to food safety and the council will not allow businesses to “play Russian roulette” with the safety of customers.
The Enfield Independent was unable to contact the owner.