Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
Discarded cigarette sparks Gravesend bedroom fire
A DISCARDED cigarette is believed to have started a bedroom fire in Gravesend yesterday evening (January 10).
Two fire engines were called to Hampton Crescent shortly before 6pm and on arrival they found a man had been smoking in bed.
Firefighters believe the cigarette set fire to book on a bedside table.
The man escaped unharmed and there was “very little” damage to the property.
Thames-side crew manager Lee Murray said: “Property can be replaced but your life can’t, which is why we are urging people to take extra care; especially when they are tired and stop dangerous habits such as smoking in bed.
“It’s very easy to fall asleep without realising your cigarette is still burning.
“The message is simple; if you need to lie down, don’t light up.
“You could easily doze off and set your bed or sofa on fire.”