Firefighter hurts back while tackling flames in Ewell
A firefighter in breathing apparatus hurt his back while tackling flames at a mansion on Wednesday.
The fireman, from Leatherhead fire station, was among 24 firefighters called to the burning home in private estate The Green, Ewell.
Epsom crew manager Russell Giles said the mansion was dark inside and full of smoke when the firefighter went in as part of a breathing apparatus team.
Mr Giles said: "When pulling the hose through the building, he just twisted his back."
Ambulance crew checked over the firefighter who left the scene as the four fire engine crews continued the battle.
It is thought that the fire started in an electrical cupboard spreading to the kitchen, hallway and upstairs bedroom.
Mr Giles said: "There was one lady in the house at the time and she raised the alarm."
There was a live cable in the cupboard so firemen had to use dry powder to put out the flames and the electricity board dug up the road to shut off the electricity.
The fire was put out 90 minutes after the fire brigade were called at just before 2pm and the last fire engine left the scene at 7.50pm.
Mr Giles said: "The whole house was damaged by smoke.
"Thirty percent of the ground floor was damaged and 20 percent of the first floor was damaged."