Erith house fire thought to have been caused by Diwali candles

This Is Local London: Diwali candles cause house blaze Diwali candles cause house blaze

DIWALI candles are thought to have caused a house fire last night.

Around half of the first floor of the property on Riverdale Road, Erith, was damaged by the blaze which started at around 10.40pm on November 13.

Four fire engines and around 20 firefighters from Erith, Plumstead and Bexley fire stations were at the scene and had the situation under control an hour later, at 11.40pm.

Two people escaped before emergency services arrived.

It is believed to have been caused by candles used for Diwali, a Hindu event known as the Festival of Lights which took place this year on November 13 each year.

London Fire Brigade (LFB) watch manager Stewart Button, who was at the scene, said: “The house was badly damaged and the two men who escaped were lucky to get out, as the property did not have a working smoke alarm.

“When using candles as part of a celebration, it is very important to remember that when not used carefully, they can be very dangerous.

“Use a proper fire resistant holder and don’t put them near anything that could catch fire.”

To keep safe during Diwali celebrations:

• Make sure candles are placed in a fire resistant holder.

• Keep candles and matches out of the reach of children, away from draughts and anything that can catch fire, like curtains or loose clothing.

• Special care should be taken with homemade, decorated candles and diya lamps.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:49pm Wed 14 Nov 12

gunner1740 says...

Once again firefighters enter a building that was well alight and full of danger in order to keep the residents of Bexley safe, well done.
Once again firefighters enter a building that was well alight and full of danger in order to keep the residents of Bexley safe, well done. gunner1740
  • Score: 0

1:36pm Wed 14 Nov 12

lindarose says...

Yes well done to the brave Fireman and women lets hope the government don't close any of the fire stations in the area take note all you mp's we need them for all our safety's sake
Yes well done to the brave Fireman and women lets hope the government don't close any of the fire stations in the area take note all you mp's we need them for all our safety's sake lindarose
  • Score: 0

9:43am Thu 15 Nov 12

Indigenous Pensioner says...

PErhaps next time they will learn to extinguish lighted candles.Thank you.
PErhaps next time they will learn to extinguish lighted candles.Thank you. Indigenous Pensioner
  • Score: 0

8:36pm Sat 17 Nov 12

Outandabout says...

The latest suggestions going to the London fire authority is to abolish attendance times. At present Home Office requirements are that the first fire engine arrives within 6 minutes of the call and the second in 8 (for certain risks like heavy residential areas). if they are abolished then arrival time is anyone's guess. the cuts are being made because fire death and losses are down. Any idiot realises it is because of the current fire cover, a bigger idiot, or as we call him Boris, will cut the fire cover and expect losses to continue falling.
The latest suggestions going to the London fire authority is to abolish attendance times. At present Home Office requirements are that the first fire engine arrives within 6 minutes of the call and the second in 8 (for certain risks like heavy residential areas). if they are abolished then arrival time is anyone's guess. the cuts are being made because fire death and losses are down. Any idiot realises it is because of the current fire cover, a bigger idiot, or as we call him Boris, will cut the fire cover and expect losses to continue falling. Outandabout
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree