Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
Quick-fix beauty tips
3:49pm Tuesday 13th November 2007 in Festive Features
Everyone wants to look good for Christmas. If it's the one time of year that we get together with extended family then it's important to try and feel at our best and to be confident in ourselves about the way we look and feel.
But if you're flagging and lagging rather than feeling special and sparkly it's hardly a recipe for a care-free festive season - and the last thing you want is some catty cousin whispering to others about the bags under your eyes or your tired looking skin.
However, rather than spend a fortune on branded products or visits to the local beauty parlour, there are some simple things you can do, using materials that are easily available.
Here are a few tips, using things from the kitchen that probably won't incur any extra cost.
- To remove puffiness from the eyelids, massage a drop of fresh castor oil on them.
- To cool your eyes, make eye pads using thick slices of cucumber. Another option is to use cotton pads soaked in cold milk. Lie down and place them on your closed eyes and relax for a while.
- Putting a drop of rose water into each eye just before you sleep can also refresh your eyes.
- To prevent your lips from chapping, use hot water fermentation on your lips and then apply a mixture of vaseline and honey. Apply this mixture about three times a week.
- To prevent your lips from drying, use a ground mixture or rose petals and milk butter.
- To delay age spots on your hands, use a piece of lemon and rub all over your hands before washing.
- To improve the health of your hair have a biotin-rich drink. Blend bananas with honey, yogurt and low fat milk. Biotin is often recommended for strengthening nails, too.
- While blow-drying and setting your hair, blow-dry at hot on the roots of the hair. Roll your hair inwards or outwards at the ends. To improve the setting make sure the ends are evenly rolled in or rolled out. Heat the hair for a second and then let it cool. This process of setting the hair will last longer.
- To condition your hair, after shampooing take some conditioner on your palm and rub it with both hands. Apply from the hair shaft moving downwards. Do not apply on your scalp. Rinse your hair after five minutes.
- To add extra shine and glow to your hair add two tablespoons of malt vinegar. Use it as a last rinse and towel dry your hair.
By Graham Harris