Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
ANGELINA JOLIE NAMED FILM STAR OF 2010
Angelina Jolie has been crowned the people’s choice Film Star of the Year by you.
Jolie, who is married to fellow A-lister Brad Pitt, scooped almost 50% of the votes following a three-week online poll to find the best actor of 2010.
She topped an impressive shortlist that included George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio, Noomi Rapace and Gemma Arterton, plus Twilight’s Kristen Stewart and Colin Pattinson
Her accolade was among several highlights of the fifth annual Richard Attenborough Film Awards (RAFAs), chosen by film critics and film-goers alike.
The RAFAs – the UK’s regional film awards – comprise fourteen categories. Seven are exclusively for UK regional film critics, while a further seven are decided by public votes.
Newsquest, publisher of this website, sponsored the public vote to find the Film Star of the Year and our online poll attracted a record 331,000 votes. Thanks to everyone who voted!
Among other winners, Colin Firth was named actor the year for The King’s Speech and The Social Network was chosen as film of the year, both in the critic’s choice categories.
In the people’s choice category, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 was named film of the year and best newcomer was awarded to Chloe Moretz for Kick-Ass.
Moretz, 13, said: “I am so thrilled and humbled to have been thought of, much less win such an award when I am still very young. Thank you to all who voted and I hope that in the years to come I am able to portray characters that will continue to entertain audiences.”
Oscar-winner Lord Attenborough CBE said: “The last year has shown the cinema to be both resilient and innovative, with large audiences eager to enjoy the unique theatrical experience. It has also brought a superb crop of terrific films with compelling performances from both experienced and fresh talents. I offer my warmest congratulations to this admirable set of winners.”
RAFAs results in full:
- British Film of the year: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Film Star of the year: Angelina Jolie, Salt, The Tourist
- Animated Film of the year: Toy Story 3
- Breakthrough Star of the year: Chloe Moretz, Kick-Ass
- 3D Film Character of the year: Edward Cullen, The Twighlight Saga: Eclipse
- Family Film of the year: Toy Story 3
- Film of the year: The Social Network
- Filmmaker of the year: Christopher Nolan, director, Inception
- Screenwriter of the year: Aaron Sorkin, The Social Network
- Actor the year: Colin Firth, The King’s Speech
- Actress of the year: Noomi Rapace, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- Rising star of the year: Chloe Moretz, Kick Ass, Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- All time legend: Sir Michael Caine
Here's how you voted:
VOTE 1: Performance of the Year by an Actress
VOTE 2: Performance of the Year by an Actor